Ada Laura “Chick” Miller Mahr
In 1923 Ada “Chick” Miller’s family moved to Fallbrook when she was just three years old. At the age of 19, Chick married Herbert Charles Mahr, whose family moved to Fallbrook in 1919, and together the two purchased property and stared a grove of citrus and avocados on a small plot of land that is now known as Clemmons Lane.
In the early 1940s, Chick worked in the Fallbrook Citrus Packing House while Herb worked as a carpenter to support their ranching endeavor.
In 1948, Chick began working in the cafeteria of Fallbrook Elementary School and Herb and Chick founded Mahr Ranch, a 20-acre ranch on Live Oak Park Road.
In 1956, as the grove grew and prospered, Chick moved to Mary Fay Pendleton and worked in the cafeteria there until 1961. At that time, she transitioned to Fallbrook Union High School, where she worked until Herb passed away in 2002.
Following Herbs death, Chick’s daughter, Jan Owen, joined her in the operation of Mahr Ranch. In 2005, Mahr Ranch began its transition to an organic operation and continued to successfully produce citrus and avocados.