Vital Reche
Reche School
Fallbrook Depot Santa Margarita Canyon

Cates Hotel 1887
First Baptist Church
Fallbrook 1890’s
Fallbrook School
Third Fallbrook School
First Edition 1911
Fallbrook Library 1913
Main Avenue 1916
Alvarado Depot 1917
Orange Grove Red Mountain Ranch
Brand of Fallbrook Citrus Association
Main Avenue / US 395
Bonsall Bridge
Fallbrook Citrus Association 1939
Packing Lemons
Camp Pendleton Construction
Navajo Code Talkers at Camp Pendleton 
Mission theater built 1948
Grading complete Airpark 1964

7000 BCE:

Luiseno Indians occupy lands between San Luis Rey and Santa Margarita rivers


San Luis Rey Mission Founded

Early 1800s:

  • 133,000 acres of Santa Margarita Rancho granted to Pio and Andres Pico.  Most of the Rancho is now Camp Pendleton; a small portion is now included in Fallbrook
  • Monserate Rancho granted by Mexican Governor Pio Pico to Ysidro Maria Alvarado.
  • California becomes a U.S. Territory
  • Gold Rush begins

  • California becomes 31st U.S. State
  • Vital Reche settles in Fallbrook, takes up commercial bee-keeping and brands his honey “Fall Brook”, after his home town of Fallbrook, PA.
  • Alvarado and Pico families raise cattle on Rancho Monserate and Rancho Santa Margarita
  • Prospective homesteaders settle on periphery of the Ranchos and raise bees.
  • U.S. Civil War
  • Vital Reche donates land at Live Oak Park and Reche Rd. for the first Fallbrook School, The Fall Brook School.
  • Second school built
  • Fallbrook Depot, originally built in the Santa Margarita Canyon, connected San Diego with points north.  Fallbrook is known as the lunch stop for runs to Los Angeles  or Yuma, Arizona
  • Non-ranch land opened for homesteading
  • First school district formed
  • Eleven subdivisions added, lumberyards, 2 hotels and a bank
  • Vital Reche obtains first post office in Fallbrook
  • Real estate boom in Fallbrook
  • Fallbrook’s first newspaper, the Fall Brook Review
  • First church, the Methodist Episcopal South Congregation
  • First lodge, The Good Templars, which evolved into the Women’s Christian Temperance Union
  • First Fallbrook Festival, the Strawberry Festival held in April
  • Irrigation District organizes and brings water from the Santa Margarita River
  • Fallbrook Water and Power Co. surveys for a dam and an aqueduct
  • Cates Hotel built with 60 rooms.  Later named The Naples and then the Hotel Ellis
  • Economy declines.  Bank closes, newspaper editor moves again.  Irrigation District fails.
  • The second block on Main St. burns to the ground, the volunteer bucket brigade was the only firefighting organization at the time
  • Fallbrook Irrigation District organized
  • 3rd school built
  • Fallbrook Masonic Lodge founded
  • Second school burns down, Reche School rebuilt the same year
  • Directors of Fallbrook Irrigation District vote to dissolve the company
  • Olives become more important crop than honey
  • First telephone service begins
  • Saturday Afternoon Club established, later to be known as the Fallbrook Women’s Club
  • Fallbrook telephone directory lists 19 subscribers
  • Citrus Association builds lemon packing plant to take advantage of new rail line into town
  • Bank reopened
  • Chamber of Commerce organized
  • Inland auto route to Los Angeles passes through Fallbrook
  • The Fallbrook Enterprise newspaper established
  • First avocados planted
  • Fallbrook High School built
  • First library established
  • World War I
  • Floods permanently close railroad station near De Luz
  • First burial in the Masonic Cemetary, following sever flu epidemic
  • First Girl Scout troop west of the Rockies founded
  • Farm Bureau Center in Fallbrook
  • New railroad depot was built on Alvarado Street
  • Fallbrook is on the major north/south road between Mexico and Canada, route now known as U.S. 395
  • Live Oak Park dedicated as County Park
  • First white line painted on Main Street
  • First sidewalks built on Main Street
  • Road paved between Fallbrook and Oceanside
  • Fallbrook Public Utility District (FPUD) formed
  • Road between Fallbrook and Bonsall paved
  • Order of the Eastern Star organized
  • Fallbrook Irrigation District is revived
  • Tomato product cannery opened
  • Bonsall Bridge opens
  • First Safeway grocery store opens
  • Hotel Ellis ceases operations
  • Great Depression, and the Civilian Conservation Corps creates the rock channel for the stream in Live Oak Park
  • San Diego County stations a fire truck in Fallbrook, a Model A Ford
  • Fallbrook Garden Club began
  • The C.D.F replaces the Model “A” fire truck with a 1932 Chevrolet fire truck
  • Reche Community Service Club organized
  • First Fallbrook Hospital opened
  • 3rd annual Future Farmers Day parade and show
  • World War II begins
  • U.S. enters WWII
  • Avocado acreage increases dramatically
  • Dial telephone service introduced, bypassing the Operator
  • U.S. Government purchased land for Camp Pendleton
  • Fallbrook Chamber of Commerce incorporated
  • Rotary Club organized
  • American Association of University Women (AAUW) organized
  • U.S. 395 moved inland by 1948, thus Fallbrook is no longer on the “Inland Route”
  • First Fallbrook High School condemned as structurally unsafe to earthquakes, and a new one is built
  • Fallbrook Community Hospital established
  • Fallbrook Hospital District approved by voters
  • Fallbrook Little League organized
  • Optimist Club established
  • Fallbrook Gem and Mineral Society (FGMS) founded
  • Hotel Ellis demolished
  • Fallbrook Hospital opens on Elder Street
  • James E. Potter School built
  • Boys and Girls Club incorporated
  • First Avocado Festival.  Avocado Festival Excursion Train brought attendees from Los Angeles to Fallbrook Depot
  • Friends of Fallbrook Library formed, sponsored by the American Association of University Women (AAUW)
  • Art Club began
  • Pala Mesa Golf Course built
  • Fallbrook Airpark opened with a dirt landing strip, and construction of hangars begins
  • Boys Club received becomes affiliated with Boys Clubs of America
  • New Safeway store replaces the old one
  • New building for the Library is built
  • Fallbrook Historical Society is formed
  • Fallbrook Land Conservancy formed
  • Library destroyed by arson 1985
  • Library rebuilt 1987
  • Fallbrook Art and Cultural Center opens in Harrison Drug Store building
  • First Murals in Fallbrook
  • $30 million remodeling of Fallbrook High School
  • x
  • y
  • z
  • New larger library replaces 1987 building.
  • First Murals in Fallbrook
  • $30 million remodeling of Fallbrook High School

Library 1987
Library 2011

Fallbrook Union High School 1962